My life...is apparenlty good enough for you to be reading about.

Monday, December 12, 2005

Le Rat

After 2 attempts at publicly selling my clothes this weekend, i came to a few conclusions.

I started making clothes because i saw things i wanted but couldn't afford. Or I had ideas of garments that i never saw in clothing stores. So after years at doing this for my own good, i decided a fashion show might be cool to show off the stuff i made. Then another fashion show, then another fashion show-and at this point I was making clothes that i thought looked cool on people, would look cool on stage, and sometimes just pumping out clothes to have more than 3 models at the show. Well, now i've gotten used to making more and more clothes and really enjoy it, so i'm doing more than just 1 shirt a month-in fact, i've made at least 6 or 7 things in the past month, and not all for my own good. I don't consider myself an artist by any means, but i'm understanding how much it sucks to create and share your work but nobody really cares about it but you! Le Rat is unique but kind of "dressed up"-not stuff people would want to wear on a daily basis. I decided to take a stab at making some wearable, "punk rock" clothes, that i figured people might be more into. I search ebay everyday for one of a kind, handmade, DIY items, and they seem to sell well and have a good market.

Ebay hasn't given me loads of money, so i decided to go another route-bring the clothes to the people, literally! I attended an arts and crafts show where i thought all the vendors would appreciate each other. Well, the only one interested was some junky lady who'd have to "save up" 20 dollars. Last night, i went to local punk rock show, where there were a good amount of girls who cut up shirts, sewed zebra print strips on things, put patches and studs everywhere-and i thought hey, these girls will totally dig my stuff! But, no...so here are my conclusions:

1. Apparently buying one of a kind items isn't trendy-especially at a show setting. Though it seems like the perfectly fitting scene for such items, these kids like Hot Topic as much as everyone else
2. There's a really awkward feeling when you walk up to a merch table. Sure, some bands and sellers can be snobby and mean, but most of the time the people behind the tables are just happy to talk and really interested in everyone at the show. I really wish people didn't feel awkward and were comfortable taking 20 minutes to look at all the stuff displayed
3. I don't and never will plan on making things just so people will buy them. I like to make what i would wear and what i have ideas for. If people don't want it, i guess i'll just deal with that.

1 Comments:

Blogger Robert said...

maybe they'll let you have a merch table at hot topic...

2:21 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home