My life...is apparenlty good enough for you to be reading about.

Friday, October 27, 2006

Motivation Speech

I've started my new job-finally-as a magician's booking agent. It's a new area of the entertainment industry to explore, and i'm excited/scared/confused. It's a new business and things are slow to start, so that's probably making it more difficult than usual.

I asked an old intern boss of mine for some advice. How much should i call back people before they start to hate me? Should i play cool or professional dealing within the college market? Since this is just a glorified sales job, should i be super pushy? He forwarded me to another IUP alumni who lectures on the college sales market.

He really gave me a great outlook on this job (perhaps that's why he's a motivational speaker that would usually charge for this advice.) He graduated from IUP, moved to NYC, worked a couple jobs he got fired from, and at age 28 realized he may as well start his own business. He sounded like he was having fun and really loved his position. He's like: Ashley, this is your time. You're selling yourself right now, so stick with it and make a bunch of calls even if you don't get a lot of responses. Take lots of risks, do different jobs if you need to, and this magician can probably help you get more jobs and make more connections down the road.

It really kept me positive that as slow as things may start, as struggling as my monetary situation is, and as unsure as i am about my future, this is just my beginning. And if he didn't settle until he was 28-i've got 5 years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home