My life...is apparenlty good enough for you to be reading about.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

The reality of Myspace

Some people like to treat Myspace like its real life. Like the private profile: god forbid people that you don't know see your pictures or your interests or what music you listen to. It seems absolutely dramatic to me. Instead of joking around and using the site to keep in touch with friends, these private profilers are making Myspace some overly dramatic "My life is soooo important/dramatic/crazy that only a few people can know what's going on." Then there's the private blog. If you're going to say something to someone just say it. Don't use some tool that people have to read or are not able to read to guess emotions and just get angry about. It's simply for dramatic effect. And here comes the kicker: when people delete their myspace account because it's literally taken over their life. Some girl told me this weekend that she deleted hers and now she has so much more freedom! Are you serious? Can you really be taking this website that literally? At any rate, I wonder if I've started taking Myspace as reality, or am i just affected because the people that i know treat it like that?
The good old top 8. As soon as I take one of my friends off or move them down a bit, it's like the end of the world. Hell, I'd be perfectly fine with just keeping the first 8 people on my list up there again. It doesn't mean you're any less of my friend or I've moved on-it's just Myspace! I'm on the low end of some of my friends, my sister switches her list a good amount, I remember I had hooked up with this guy and he eventually took me off because we stopped talking. I don't really get upset about any of it.
Then comes the good old friends list in general. Who do you add? Who do you take off? I get a little offended when somebody takes me off-like, hey? I'm not good enough to be your friend anymore? Then i realize they're probably not somebody I talk to much anyway. Somebody said to me once-well, now we're friends on Myspace. That means a lot. Does it really? Don't i see you out at the bars and talk to you on the phone anyway-what's it matter?
But i recently came to my first reality mypace shock. I had been seeing this boy for a few weeks, became friends, and then (like all people in my life lately)-he went crazy on me and didn't want to date anymore. That's cool, but a week later he deletes me from his friends list! Why do i take offense to this? Because he completely wrote me off and out of his life like I never mattered and won't ever again? Because i'm not good enough to even keep on his limited list of friends? Really because it makes a person feel like absolute shit when somebody completely cuts you out of their life.
No, down the road this won't matter. No, he wasn't the most fun or hilarious or cool dude. But it feels as though cutting me out of a friend's list on a silly computer site to somebody who got to know me quite well and supposedly cared about me is like saying, "I never want to see you again, hear from you again, or think that you exist anymore. You didn't matter enough to me." Ok, so maybe I'm being a little dramatic. Maybe I should have posted this as a private blog instead.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I HATE PRIVATE PROFILES AND PRIVATE BLOGS.

4:47 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok homo...my boss requested that I have a private profile for business reasons. Basically, so I don't offend future "clientel". If you wanna fight about it...just know I will kill you. hahah especially after you pee on my living room rug. I don't think this is about me..it would make me sad if it was...<3
miss you...glad you had fun back east
Angeller

8:23 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home