My life...is apparenlty good enough for you to be reading about.

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Question #5

For those of you who don't live in Las Vegas (aka, the 3 of you who read this blog), Question #5 was put on the voting ballot this year to see if Las Vegas natives would like to ban smoking in bars that serve food. It was actually worded with the intent of keeping smoking away from children like around nursery schools, etc. To explain the Las Vegas bar scene: almost every dive bar, gaming bar, and restaurant serves food 24/7, and almost everywhere serves drinks. In other words, it has a huuuge effect.
After the vote passed for the ban on that November tuesday, we were out and about drinking and getting a reaction from some bartenders who work in eat and drink establishments. Maaaan, were they pissed. They're convinced it will take people away from gambling because they'll have to go outside to smoke or they will go to bars where no food is served. That makes sense.
I didn't really care which way the vote went. When i'm in NYC, i sneak a smoke inside the bar or i just join the outside party where it seems more people are anyway. And when i'm in las vegas, i sit around with my friends at a bar or a show, enjoy a beer, and usually a few cloves or cigarettes throughout the night. But lately, whether it is due to my lupus/scurvy/dying sickness or not, I've steered clear of cigarettes and bars because the smoke certainly isn't helping my lungs get any better. I went out last night for the first time in about 2 weeks and couldn't breath too well this morning because I had to gasp in an assload of smoke while i sat around talking and drinking. Now that i've really had time to think about it and i'm happier being healthy than enjoying a buzz everynow and then, i really like the idea of non-smoking bars. So yes, i'll still smell like ass but get a full bar experience at the Double Down, because they don't serve food. But i can also enjoy some nachos without a bunch of smoke going down my throat somewhere else.

Aside from my opinion, I'm really getting annoyed at the responses/articles I've been reading in the Weekly. Some woman wrote in saying "I'm sick of people forcing their healthy lifestyle on me." I didn't realize simply going outside to smoke was such a huge lifestyle change. Or (like I should even be surprised to see Las Vegans passing their own problem's off on someone else), the article "Curse you Californians" explains why people here hate the healthy/environment friendly invasion from our next door neighbors and that's why the vote passed. Clearly no one from here wanted it. Or this editorial where the author admits he only smokes because he's drinking, but hell he should be allowed to do whatever he wants wherever he wants!

It is odd to me that out of any city, "Sin City" seems like it should be a vacation away from the norm, the healthy, and the moralistic lifestyle. (is that even a word?) There should be sex everywhere, booze on every corner, and cigarettes allowed in bars. But this is a home to many people and not just a vacation spot, so i guess they count too.

1 Comments:

Blogger Robert said...

living somewhere that doesn't allow smoking in bars, i can tell you honestly that absolutely nothing has changed. except that you don't smell like an ashtray when you go home.

10:34 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home