My life...is apparenlty good enough for you to be reading about.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Oboe Lesson

So I had my oboe lesson today with the principal of the Las Vegas Symphony, the teacher at UNLV, the expert who has written articles for International Double Reed Society, and the man who has a CD out. Okay, so non-oboe players don't really care about this stuff-but anyway, after $75, I was very pleased with the techniques he taught me that I wasn't aware of before. He's trained in how to position the body and hands correctly to avoid tendinidous, sore necks, sore backs...pretty much everything. So he told me to sit a little more relaxed. He also talked a lot about breathing-how the diaphragm, lungs, ribcage, and spine all work while breathing so to think of lifting up when i run out of breath. And, because I severely blow at tongueing, he talked about how the tongue muscle moves when it hits the reed and how to make different articulations with it. I was pleased and gained a lot of knowledge from the experience. I only played a small excerpt from Tchaik IV and a part from La Scala di Seita.
Lessons after college are kind of weird to me. I guess if you're a professional musician or if you're preparing for a recital, it would make more sense. But I don't do either of those things-I'm hoping I will get back into it this year, and if i do start to play with some ensembles, i will need him for advice and help. It was definitely interesting and helpful to get new techniques, but i still left feeling a bit weird. I've only taken one other lesson after college and that man offered me a full ride to graduate school. My previous teachers used to tell me how good of a student I was and that I sounded terrific. Perhaps it's that I don't know him on a personal level yet, but it felt like: ok, you played, i told you some things, goodbye. There was no 'you really sound great', or invite into the school's program. Maybe I'm just spoiled from a family that thinks i'm good, and i'm too used to being a big fish in a little pond at my old school. I should be happy things went well, that I finally got to play for someone, and that I can improve. And i am.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go oboe!
-Andy

11:38 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home