My life...is apparenlty good enough for you to be reading about.

Monday, March 12, 2007

The Yearly Mark

After graduating, moving to Baltimore, and realizing I didn't really enjoy it, I thought moving to a different city every year until I found a great job or my handsome, rich, wonderful future husband, would be a great idea! First was Baltimore, and then was Las Vegas. I've had a lot of fun here-I know a hell of a lot of people, I've had great opportunities, and I've been able to unleash my inner party animal almost every day of the week. Unfortunately, I don't have any great friends here or a secure job.

My roommate is ending our lease in August; he got orders to go to Korea. All the other roommates are gone to Austin, Portland, San Diego, etc. I thought I'd forego my yearly move because I'd been having a lot of fun here, but this is the push I needed to go back on my city-wide adventures.

Thinking where I'd like go next, I thought should I leave Las Vegas?
Pros: I know a lot of people. I get to play my oboe here. I get to set up shows (if things will start working out). I'm starting Punk Rock Karaoke! Things are really cheap and there's always somewhere to go and something to do. I love the weather.
Cons: I don't have any real good friends and I don't think I'm going to make any. I'm sick of the bars and people-there's nothing left to discover. There are a lot of opportunities, but they aren't stable enough to help me in the long run. It's really far away from my friends and family.

I've been putting a list together of other cities I might like to try. So the pros and cons of those are
Chicago.
It's a really cool and pretty city. Not too far from PA either.
But I don't know anyone there. It's more expensive than LV. I don't have any job prospects. And it gets way cold.

Portland.
It's young and liberal. Morgan lives there and can introduce me to lots of people. Everything's walking distance. My car insurance will be cheaper. I can transfer Urban Outfitters and I have hookups with job prospects. A good, growing music scene. Some 24 hour places. Really affordable.
But I hate hipsters and it's pretty much the mecca of all. It gets really rainy. It seems like a very transitional city where I'd end up wanting to move again. It's still real far from PA.

San Jose/San Fran
I've never been, but Chade thinks I'll adore it. It's right by the beach. Great weather. A lot of music with some major companies in the area.
But it's really expensive. And the only person I know is an ex boyfriend.

Pittsburgh.
The only reason it's on the list is because that's where my friends live. And i'd be near home which i miss a lot.
I don't love Pittsburgh-I think it's boring and I'd get sick of it real fast. There's no opportunity for me to grow in the music business career there, I'd just be working at some random job and wasting my life.

So as of now, 5 months away, Portland is looking quite possible. Though it hasn't stopped me from applying to cool jobs anywhere. I wonder where I'll be April 2008.

3 Comments:

Blogger Robert said...

yay portland!

10:43 AM

 
Blogger emerson said...

I told you, Vegas is great for exactly a year. Then the heat gets to be too much and you realize everybody's either left or want to leave. Chicago is an amzing city but it'f fugging cold as fugg in the winter.

6:46 PM

 
Blogger Ratface said...

emerson has come out of the woodwork! yessssssssssss

5:35 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home