My life...is apparenlty good enough for you to be reading about.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Hearing Back

Well, I'm done with all the auditions at this point.
Since i rarely write any updates, this is what happened.

USC was great. The campus was beautiful and it seemed like there were great facilities. And a million bicycles. I played pretty well, I got through excerpts, an etude, and 2 movements of a solo. The one teacher mentioned how impressed he was at my musicality, but gave me some things to work on. I have to count very well when I'm nervous, and perhaps my tonguing problems are do to embouchure. Did i really misspell that? Anyway, I was absolutely happy with my playing and the reaction I had receieved. And I knew what to expect from the other schools. Well, I received my rejection letter yesterday. It's pretty discourgaging-as I'm sure losing any audition is for a musician. But it made me realize I didn't get it because I didn't prepare enough. I didn't want it badly enough to do my best and try my hardest.

I had 2 other auditions last week. I flew to Philadelphia and was quite umimpressed with my whole experience. I ended up playing pretty well, some of my solo, etude, and excerpts. I did enjoy having two real Philly Cheesesteaks. Gino's was definitely not my favorite-I liked one in the South Side better. I climbed the Rocky steps, hung out with Adam, and liked the city much more than I thought I would. It turns out I wouldn't need a car there, but the surrounding area of Temple was definitely not desirable.

I took the train up to NYC and had my audition at Manhattan School of Music. It was great to be around a conservatory experience - I ended up meeting other oboe players. They were all very nice and we compared teachers and experiences. I think it made me nervous hearing other good players, and I was also counting on this school being my best option. I psyched myself out way too much, and although the teachers were extremely relaxed and friendly, I was very dissapointed in my playing. I got through a few excerpts and just part of my solo.

Oh, and I didn't make it into Yale. I thought my cd didn't show off my ability well at all. I'm making excuses...

So I'm staying positive for the other two schools. Through this whole experience, I've realized how I really do want to be an orchestral player. It's what I feel most naturally doing. I think of sitting in an office, working at a store, doing anything else and I don't want to do it. I want to play! So we'll see how it goes.

But for now, that's my update

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home